[Last updated 12 Oct 2003]
CAN'T FIND your Ancestor's name in the Glapthorn Census 1841-1891?
This page is meant as a "rag-bag" of other ideas, which I'll add to as the
ideas occur to me, or someone sends a suggestion.
- I.G.I. (International Genealogical Index). This is what most people
go to first. Produced by the Mormons, it can be viewed at Mormon Family History
Centres and a lot of good libraries. On microfiche and computer. It covers most
(but by no means all) parishes in England. Drawbacks are: burials (not listed)
and error rate (its not perfect).
- There are many OTHER Villages in Northamptonshire. Could your ancestor
come from one of those? GLAPTHORN is one of the smaller villages in the
County. It borders the following:
- SOUTHWICK, APETHORPE and WOODNEWTON on the North
- COTTERSTOCK and WARMINGTON on the East.
- OUNDLE in the South.
- UPPER and LOWER BENEFIELD in the West.
- Try PROFESSIONAL RESEARCHERS. They charge something like GBP 5.00 per hour.
- Check out GOONS (Guild of one-name Studies). Someone may have registered
with them who specialises in the surname you are seeking.
- Advertise in the Family Tree Magazine's Reader's Interests section.
It costs GBP 1.24 for one surname, and has a huge readership.